In 1933 on Pentecost Sunday, 5 June, the foundation stone of the cathedral designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens was laid by Archbishop Richard Downey in a great ceremony. The site for the cathedral was laid out with seating in a pattern which represented the seating profile of the completed cathedral, which was to be the second largest cathedral in the world. An enormous crowd filled the site with many more surrounding the former workhouse site, purchased just a few years earlier.
In 1967 on the same feast day, the cathedral designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd was consecrated and opened, though on this occasion the congregation were seated inside a real cathedral. The Papal Legate presiding at the service was Cardinal John Heenan, whose courageous decision it had been to put aside the original plans and to declare a competition for a new design.
Now in 2016, the feast of Pentecost marks the 49th anniversary of the consecration which approaches its 50th birthday in 2017.
The music at the Solemn Mass includes the exciting setting Missa Brevis by Jonathan Dove as well as music by Tallis & Wilby.
The Pentecost Pageant takes place throughout the day in Hope Street and the Two Cathedrals’ Walk which begins at Liverpool Cathedral and ends at the Metropolitan Cathedral continues a ecumenical tradition.